Tuesday 5 June 2012

Thread: An experience, an observation and ... - Family Woodworking

I have had my MM-16 bandsaw for a number of years and this evening I had an interesting experience.

While cutting some angled tenons on the seat support for a porch swing I'm building, the 1/2" blade broke. I can't remember having a blade break before. It was an interesting experience but not as terrible as I thought it would be. But...I was able to make some observations...

When a blade breaks balanced cast iron wheels can spin for one or more minutes. Don't be in a hurry to open doors. A broken blade could end up in that spinning balanced wheel and you could have another incident that was more catastrophic!

It really was underwhelming when it broke. I immediately just stepped on the footbrake which shuts off power and brakes the lower wheel. Then I opened the upper wheel cover and watched the top wheel spin for another minute or two. Then I realized the danger to which I had exposed myself by opening the door while the wheel was still spinning.

I investigated the break in the blade. It just broke straight across with a very slight tear near the back of the blade. If my memory serves me correctly, this is the original blade that came with the saw. I have had the saw for at least 4 maybe 5 years so I have gotten money's worth out of the blade.

Since my wife woke me up at 0300 this morning to take her to the airport, I decided to replace the blade and continue cutting tenons tomorrow.

giants vs saints suh suh lindsey vonn lindsey vonn josef stalin kourtney and kim take new york

No comments:

Post a Comment